Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a people well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the households after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and creature care. Soon after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the battle ended people were able to get their lives back on the right track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. While read more using depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed saint joseph mo to stay together more than ever. Through a national give, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph got a human population of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic soldiers to the conflict. The community remained strong and extended to improve the Community, get more info adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its drinking water supply, and continues to take action.